Saturday, May 3, 2008

We are almost having fun yet

The rigging season is in full-on crunch mode, so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on boat. We've still got a lot done.

Deck paint is finished, both the nonskid and the shiny areas (I still haven't figured out how to refer to the non-nonskid parts of the deck. Nonnonskid sounds funny, maybe "the white bits?" I don't know.)

Really really happy with the way the deck looks! We've got matterhorn white awlgrip for the white bits, and a blend (6:1 Matterhorn White/Medium Gray) for the nonskid. Looks really cool. Added about 20 hrs to the project to add the extra nonskid areas (stock Shields only have it on the foredeck) and to get the contrast color, but I say worth it.

We (Mick, Niki, my Dad and myself) also started putting hardware back on. So far we've got the backstay gland, flagpole socket (just 1), traveler and associated gear and the spinnaker ratchet blocks. After all the paint prepwork, it feels great to be doing something I know how to do (rigging.)


Started sanding off the gray primer, got abour 40% done today. Monday/tues/wed (if I can) I'll sand off the rest, wash/solvent the sides, mask the deck and we'll spray the medium gray awlgrip on the hull.

Hours:

Mick: 4
Niki: 6
Victor: 3
Kristian: ???? I have no idea. I'd guess around 20 again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the boatyard where I work we call them the "deck smooth areas." I think this started because if we were waxing a boat it would go something like "Wax topsides and deck smooth areas."

I've also heard it called the "skid." As in, "the non-skid and the skid."

Chicago Yacht Rigging said...

Smooth areas makes sense, and theres no getting confused on that one!

Luckily we're getting to the point where I can stop looking at this boat as technical projects and start looking at an actual boat!

Cheers