Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Movin on up! (to the east side)

Ok first off, everything I said yesterday was a joke, so put away the protest flags! We do not have a carbon mast, sail, and I did not break the class rules. Jeez, it was just April Fools fun. On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy and unrigged carbon mast (ALSO A JOKE)a

What I really did last friday and tuesday was finish sanding prep (always), filled in the rail, and cleaned the boat out for her big day today. (9hrs)


I fitted the mast shims, to get a feel for how big the final flat shim would have to be. Looks great and I can't wait to see how it works this summer.


The big news was getting 88 out of the barn and into the uberclean paint room. Along the way I asked the yard guys to lift her a few inches and put blocks under the keel. This will allow me to sand/paint the bottom of the keel, which was pretty damn rough. Canal Street has some great yard guys, and they got this handled very quickly. I hooked up the bridle and they handled the rest. Literally, they came to pick up the boat and bring it outside, and by the time I had gotten it around the corner they'd lifted and blocked the boat! Thanks guys!



After all this prep and work, its great to have the boat about to get painted. It's in the paint room and almost ready to go! Tomorrow I give it a nice washdown, and then Mick is going to look the boat over with me. I'm sure there will be some more spot filling and sanding (ack) and then later we spray primer on the deck and topsides, followed by awlgrip and rolled awlgrip nonskid.

Very exciting day! (6hrs)

No comments: